Only available until 20 April.
Camp down to 3°C and bivvy down to -10°C or lower.*
The mate for the Alpine Ultra Jacket. The jacket is a superb stand-alone, but twinning it with this half-bag widens its capabilities. Camp down to 3°C and bivvy down to -10°C or lower.*
This sale version, in lightweight M1 fabric and with 900 fillpower down, is offered at a £74 discount on the standard Alpine Ultra Half Bag.
Half-bags are back
Half-bags (Pied d'elephant to oldies) are coming back. They've been out of fashion for many years in the trend towards using lifts and huts to make quick comfortable ascents, when a bivouac was a mistake, not a plan.
But the logic behind half-bags is still valid. If you're wearing a warm jacket already, all you need to spend the night out is something to keep your legs warm and there's no lighter way to do that than to use a half-bag. Check out the weights of PHD's half-bags and see for yourself.
- When there's no hut in the right place for your climb, or it's full, or you just don't like the crush
- When you want to wander along your GR, free to sleep inside or under the stars as the fancy takes you
- When you want a lightweight backup in case weather, miscalculation or accident catch you out
...a half-bag is the lightest answer.
*Note on Temperature Ratings
We have given two separate TOTs (Typical Operating Temperatures) for this half-bag.
- 'Camp' is for the times people might want to use it for lightweight camping instead of taking a sleeping bag (an appropriate jacket and ground insulation is assumed): this is a standard TOT, meaning you should be able to get a good night's sleep under normal circumstances.
- 'Bivvy' gives a range of temperatures from the usual doze level down to the point beyond which you're liable to be awake and getting cold. Again an insulated jacket is needed.
All these figures assume you are wearing normal clothing inside the half-bag. Any insulated kit like down trousers and down socks will improve the TOT.
Dispatch time: As with all PHD products, these are made to order and by hand. We estimate it will take us around 4 to 6 weeks to make and dispatch sale orders. During busy periods it may take a little longer.